Sunday 22 December 2013

A Piece of Raspberry Pi

With Christmas break coming, I figured I'd have some spare hours to take on a Raspberry Pi (RPi) project and see what the buzz has been about. Thanks to +John Peterson for the encouragement to start.


Getting One

Turned out to be pretty straight-forward. I was able to order the parts through http://canada.newark.com/ and within 24 hours they were in town from South Carolina (according to UPS tracking) and by the next evening delivered to my door. Speedy is great!




The order included:




  • Raspberry Pi, version B (Two USB ports)
  • 8Gb SD card with NOOBS installed
  • case
  • USB 80211n wifi "nub"


  • Because it powers using a standard micro USB connector and I already have enough of them, I  left it out of the order. 


    Getting Ready

    Putting the kit together was a two minute adventure. According to the internet the NOOBS card will customize the card to one of several RPi operating systems that you choose. I made a backup of the card using http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup as a reference.

    Next Up

    Next time I'll go through powering the RPi up and choosing/configuring Raspbian using NOOBS.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment