Monday 23 December 2013

Raspbian Pi

The Raspberry Pi hardware is together. Let's see what happens.


Initial Boot

On boot the machine scrolls the usual reams of text and ends with a dialog box to choose the operating system to install. I'm a "recommended" kind of guy the first-time round, and so chose Raspbian. It didn't hurt that my preferred distribution is Debian/Ubunutu :)




Not very exciting in itself, but progress is being made.

And things installed successfully, so a reboot and we're ready for setup.

Setup



  1. Expand Filesystem
    • The install of Raspbian includes this step, ensuring that the full memory of the SD card is available.
  2. Change User Password
    • Do this. Not only does it secure your system, but also makes it available for remote login via ssh.
  3. Enable Boot to Desktop
    • Because I don't see needing a desktop for what I'm doing I didn't do this. Memory is scant enough on these without using it when not required.
  4. Internationalisation Options
    • Support for UK English is on my default
    • I did change this to add support for Canadian English (en_CA.UTF-8) as well.
  5. Enable Camera
    • If I'd bought the camera module this would make sense, but I didn't.
  6. Add to Rastrack
    • This looks like it adds geo-location tracking for the device (rastrack.co.uk). Not part of my current ideas
  7. Overclock
    • Maybe another time. For now, working is good enough.
  8. Advanced options

    • I set the hostname to vantasticvideo
    • I enabled ssh

A reboot and the RPi is ready for customization. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment